forum.jpg (4424 bytes)     "Inside  every small problem is a large problem struggling to get out."

Rules Forum Contributors [For contributors only]

Topics

Applications
Auctions
Bargaining
Experimental Economics
Forum
General Equilibrium
Napster
other
Other Topics
Prisoners Dilemma
Zero Sum Games

Thread and Full Text View

Ask a question about: Other Topics
Respond to the question: diabetes and blood sugar levels?

08/24/2015 12:18 AM by Anthony Mann; Tips to prevent or control diabetes
[View full text and thread]

08/24/2015 12:07 AM by name withheld; Diabetes is a lifelong condition that causes a person's blood sugar level to become too high
When you have diabetes, your blood sugar (glucose) levels are consistently high. Over time, this can damage your body and lead to many other problems. Understanding blood glucose level ranges is key to both diabetes diagnosis and [View full text and thread]

12/02/2014 09:05 AM by name withheld; diabetes and blood sugar levels
I'm so intrigued when articles are posted about diabetes. I have some first hand experience with this, my father has had type 1 since he was 15 years old. My paternal grandmother also died from this. However, many years ago diabetes was not well known, and people did not know they had this condition. Due to the recent medicine there are many ways to maintain and control this condition. Exercise and eating right is absolutely a way to avoid diabetes. However, there are some people who can do everything right and still has this condition. I'm glad this article was published for many to read and gain a better understanding of this illness. This study http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2654180/?report=reader states that saturated and trans fat decrease insulin sensitivity. It recommended lowering amounts of fat from red meat and full fat dairy in favor of fat from nuts, seeds and polyunsaturated vegetable oils. Stick margarine, being hydrogenated, is particularly bad. This study even stated that omega 6 fats were more beneficial for insulin sensitivity than omega 3 fats. Even Siri Tarino, who is the darling of the low carb community for the 2010 meta analysis exonerating saturated fat, stated in http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2943062/#!po=87.5000 that there was a reduced cardiovascular risk if saturated fat is replaced by polyunsaturated fat and minimally processed grains, which of course are higher in fiber. Saturated fat can contribute both to heart disease and type 2 diabetes, as does low fiber refined carbs and trans fat. Polyunsaturated and monounsaturated fat as well as high fiber carbohydrates are beneficial. True, but diabetics need more rigorous control of simple sugars such as sucrose and fructose, so artificial sweeteners can be useful in allowing some consumption of soft drinks and other beverages with a sweetener. My grandmother used saccharine in her coffee for her whole adult life, and died when she was 103 with no signs of diabetes. It really points to the fact that small amounts of an artificial sweetener probably won't cause harm. The big problem is people going through 2L bottles, Big Gulps or several cans of diet sodas every day. One way to avoid the issue is to drink water instead of soda, since soda with or without sugar is just a bunch of chemicals. If you saw these chemicals separately, you would never think of consuming them and most of them aren't really good for you anyway. In the very informative N Y Times article -"Is Sugar Toxic? - by Gary Taubes, what really sticks in my mind is this dramatic research result. If lab rats are fed excessive amounts of sugar, or especially fructose (equal to 20% of calorie intake, which is about what the majority of Americans eat), within a few months, the rats begin to develop fatty livers, which leads to insulin resistance and metabolic syndrome. When the fructose and sugar are removed from the diet, the fatty liver and insulin resistance and metabolic syndrome go away. I have switched to using stevia sweetener, and instead of drinking sodas, I soak fresh or frozen fruit in ice water. Regarding weight loss diets, it seems like so many people who try the tedious task of counting calories per ounce, soon give up. It is much easier to concentrate on switching to a style of eating with more emphasis on unprocessed, plant-based foods (more fiber and plant phytochemicals per calorie). It does not need to be strictly vegetarian. I was diagnosed with pre T2D in March. I am a 65 year old woman, 5ft 4in tall. At the time I weighted 131 pounds. At that time I was going to the gym twice a week for aquafit. I had a diet that I considered good and healthy. My A1C was at 6.2. (Where I live, in Ontario, anyone over 6.0 is considered pre Type 2 Diabetes.) I was determined to turn the tide and get my blood sugar back in the normal range. I started by eliminating any carbs that were high in the glycemic index. I happened to meet a plant-based cooking instructor who changed my life. She introduced me to the book "Doctor Neal Barnard's Program for Reversing Diabetes". His medically researched evidence was so convincing ithat I began following a plant based (vegan) diet. Admittedly I continued to have milk in my daily latte, but I have been pretty faithful to the new regime. Remarkably, I lost about one pound a week until I leveled off after losing 15 pounds. At the same time I added two sessions per week of resistance work with a trainer. In August I had my blood tested again and the A1C is completely normal at 5.6. I just wanted to add this to the discussion because it has been shown to effectively get many people into a healthy blood sugar range and enable them to stop taking medication. If you think someone you know might be interested, please seek out the book or one of Dr. Barnard's youtube talks where he outlines his plan. [Manage messages]

12/02/2014 08:54 AM by name withheld; diabetes and blood sugar levels

12/02/2014 08:51 AM by name withheld; diabetes and blood sugar levels