forum.jpg (4424 bytes)     "Inside  every small problem is a large problem struggling to get out."

Rules Forum Contributors [For contributors only]

Topics

Applications
Auctions
Bargaining
Experimental Economics
Forum
General Equilibrium
Napster
other
Other Topics
Prisoners Dilemma
Zero Sum Games

Thread and Full Text View

Ask a question about: Other Topics
Respond to the question: Cournot and Nash?

07/08/2015 05:47 AM by name withheld; ads
adsads
[View full text and thread]

07/08/2015 05:46 AM by name withheld; ads
ads [View full text and thread]

05/10/2001 11:47 AM by Pedro Dal Bó; Cournot vs. Nash
The idea of Nash equilibrium was know to economists before Nash. Good examples are Cournot, Bertrand and Hotelling models. They provided the intuition and the mathematics for it. Unfortunatelly, most of the researchers on game theory in [View full text and thread]

05/06/2001 11:18 PM by Rodrigo; Cournot and Nash
You'll find the meaning of Nash's contribution in Roger Myerson's paper "Nash Equilibrium and the History of Economic Theory", Journal of Economic Literature, 37(3), September 1999, pages 1067-82. I also suggest the wonderful book "A [View full text and thread]

05/05/2001 09:23 AM by rudy;
I think Cournot did not realized with the methodology of his work. That's right Cournot is the founder of oligopoly theory, but he did not give contribution (or just accidentally) to the game theory. [Manage messages]

05/04/2001 07:47 PM by Jean Lanud; Cournot and Nash
In 1838, Cournot developed game models of oligopolistic competition, which he analysed by the methodology of Nash equilibrium. And he was writing more than a century before Nash. I think (it is just my opinion) John Nash did not find [View full text and thread]