forum.jpg (4424 bytes)     "Inside  every small problem is a large problem struggling to get out."

Rules Forum Contributors [For contributors only]

Topics

Applications
Auctions
Bargaining
Experimental Economics
Forum
General Equilibrium
Napster
other
Other Topics
Prisoners Dilemma
Zero Sum Games

Thread and Full Text View

Ask a question about: Other Topics
Respond to the question: bmr calculator?

08/25/2015 05:21 AM by andre; bmr calculator

BMR calculator - can is such tool accurate?

Basal metabolic rate represents the amount of calories your body burns per day just to maintain basic / essential functions, such as breathing and thinking. BMR calculator will calculate your calorie expenditure depending on your height, weight, age and gender. Of course men have a higher BMR than women. BMR calculator cannot take into consideration your current body fat percentage and your current muscle mass.
These two factors are very important when you calculate your BMR. Why is that? The answer is because more muscle will burn more energy.

The more muscle you have the higher your BMR rate

It is true that BMR cannot be accurately calculated but a decent BMR calculator will provide very reasonable results. For example a 180 cm tall male with a body weight of 75 kilograms will have a BMR of around 1650 calories. On the other hand a 165 cm tall female with a body weight of 55 kilograms will have a BMR of about 1200 calories. The difference exists not just because the body weight and height are different but also because due to the fact that males have much more muscle mass than females do. This is a genetic predisposition. Now some might say that it is easier for a male to lose weight than it is for female. That might be true, but this again depends on the muscle mass of an individual. If a male has very low muscle mass his BMR will be much lower than that of an averagely built adult male.

BMR formula

BMR calculator uses BMR formula to calculate results. This formula is no secret. It is calculated as follows: English BMR Formula Women: BMR = 655 + ( 4.35 x weight in pounds ) + ( 4.7 x height in inches ) - ( 4.7 x age in years ) Men: BMR = 66 + ( 6.23 x weight in pounds ) + ( 12.7 x height in inches ) - ( 6.8 x age in year ) Metric BMR Formula Women: BMR = 655 + ( 9.6 x weight in kilos ) + ( 1.8 x height in cm ) - ( 4.7 x age in years ) Men: BMR = 66 + ( 13.7 x weight in kilos ) + ( 5 x height in cm ) - ( 6.8 x age in years )
With these numbers you can get a good approximation of what your basal metabolism is.

How to increase basal metabolic rate?

You can increase your rate by building more muscle mass or by exercising more (preferably HIIT exercise). For the longest time I was working out and nothing changed. I 100% agree that abs are made in the kitchen. Healthy eating, supplements with exercise is the way to go. People just told me I was gaining weight because I was getting old - I find that to be bull! I did the Advocare 24 day challenge back in November and have lost 25lb now a fit mom of 4. I have a flat tummy and more energy than most 16 year olds. Eat right and anyone can fill that way!
Count your calories in and out. Right there the fat/carb issue comes into play just because of calories. Your BMR will automatically be lower if you are careful how many calories you intake and how many you consume. BMR is not just a number to have.
I was a scrawny child who turned into a fat adolescent. In hopes of getting down to a respectable wait I became a competitive swimmer, and got fatter and fatter, pushing 190 lbs on my also muscular 5'5" frame. I tried every formal and fad diet. None worked for me. Exercise alone NEVER does it. What does is becoming very very restrictive on calories, and that works best if I can keep to a goal of 1000 Cal/day plus an hour of serious aerobic exercise (like a spinning class) 3-5 days a week works. I tell myself that hunger is my friend, hunger is good. There are no magic foods, but it is MUCH more satisfying to eat a huge salad of Romain lettuce, red bell peppers, some fresh basil leaves and some grilled chicken dressed with a little balsamic vinegar (just the vinegar, not a dressing with oil) than it is to have a McDonalds single 99 cent hamburger that actually has more calories. Yes your metabolism gets more efficient, yes some days it is harder to keep up with the 20 year olds in the spinning class (I am in my 50's) but I still do. And this is the second time I have done this.
About 9 years ago I lost 30 lbs this way and kept it off for 6 years, then I let myself slide and during a bad personal time (still exercising). I gained all the weight back over the course of a few months held my standard high weight 3 years, and have now taken 35 off in 6 months. You can trust a BMR calculator easily if you know what you are doing and what is the reason that you need a BMR calculator in first place. [Manage messages]

08/25/2015 05:19 AM by andre; bmr calculator
A quick question on basal metabolic rate and the accuracy of bmr caluclators [View full text and thread]